Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farewell, so long and goodbye..

Tomorrow (Friday 27th June) will be a bit of a sad day; one that I knew was near. It’s the last day any of us can call this old house the family home. That familiar feeling that can only come from a home you have lived in for a long time will be gone. You get to know every creaking board every scratch and who made it. You know what needs fixing but never seem to get it done. As I enter the lounge room (I rarely go in there now) and look at the bare mantle and photo free walls I feel a little bit alone as though I am leaving a friend behind. I can remember the cold and wet Saturday morning we first moved into 1215 main road kalorama way back in 1967 and seeing this house of many doors, its seemed so big and I guess it was when compared to our other home. The yard was overgrown with walnut, lemon and apple trees, hydrangeas and rhododendrons where scattered everywhere. Now the new owners will make it their home and they want to renovate rather that rebuild that makes it ok. Now we move on, lets see what tomorrow brings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not for too long, hurry back Dieter. xxxxxxxx

LHagen said...

well written dieter!

Gary said...

I felt the same about my old house.
55 years in the house, now two new houses have replaced it.

Anonymous said...

Everything will turn out fine Dieter. That was well said. Change is always scary but new days are exciting too. Keep your chin up fella!!!

Sue said...

The best thing I have read for ages. Full of feeling and coming right from the heart. Hugs to you Dieter.

dieter said...

Thanks everyone and as you say it will work out.....in time.