Monday, June 25, 2007

Law's law

Icon John Laws retires
Laws' first prime ministerial interviewee was Sir Robert Menzies, followed by Harold Holt, John Gorton, Billy McMahon, Gough Whitlam, Malcolm Fraser, Bob Hawke, Paul Keating and John Howard.
On radio this morning, Laws said Mr Howard had been among the cleverest of them.
"I have to say that out of all of them, you have been one of the most enjoyable and certainly one of the trickiest," Laws told Mr Howard.
The man nicknamed the "Golden Tonsils", said nothing in particular had prompted him to announce his retirement, except that he had to stop some time.
"Because I thought about it yesterday," Laws quipped when asked why he had chosen today to reveal his intentions.
"Because I wanted to let sponsors know, and other radio stations know, and people to whom I have commitments know, and most importantly the listeners know.
"I have talked about it for a long time."
Laws said he was sad to leave broadcasting.
"I will miss it. I know I will miss it," he said.

No comments: