Friday, February 17, 2006


The Sydney Opera House concert hall was transformed into a boisterous cricket concourse today as mourners paid tribute to Kerry Packer with a rousing version of "C'mon Aussie, C'mon".
One-day cricket's iconic anthem was belted out by the song's writer Allan Johnson and the 2000-strong crowd of mourners in honour of the man Richie Benaud called "a true cricket lover".
Frank Sinatra's 'My Way,' a song especially beloved by Mr Packer, was introduced by master of ceremonies Allan Jones and was soundtrack to a montage of private images from Mr Packer's family.
After Mr Jones signed off the service with a sporting analogy � "The innings was too short, but the worth a lot of runs" � guests left the Sydney Opera House to another Packer favourite, 'The Gambler' by Kenny Rogers.
He was a sentimental bloke. He lived a full Australian life, and I think he'd be very happy with that. He was a larrikin, but he was also a gentleman, and that's a dual description I think any Australian man would be very proud to have.

Patty

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You were so lucky to have worked and met him Patty. I would have loved to have shaken his hand

Beecham Motors said...

I haven't met him Paul, but he did give us a big fat Xmas bonus when I workd for one of his newspapers. :)

Beecham Motors said...

I haven't met him Paul, but he did give us a big fat Xmas bonus when I workd for one of his newspapers. :)