Monday, February 20, 2006

Church Sign

So I am driving down the road, when I glance up to read the local church sign. I enjoy the wit and brevity they sometimes offer, and last weeks was a beauty.

"I will be with you till the end of the world" and it made me tear up…the timeless reassurance of a loving God. It doesn’t matter what you believe in, as long as you have faith and believe something! My God is a personal God, shapeless and formless, a God of love and understanding and tolerance and forgiveness.

Today, in the heavy morning traffic, thinking about my father's impending 2nd anniversary of his death, the sign says...

"Do not be afraid, I am always with you."

It was such a jolt, perhaps a voice from the grave, it made me burst into floods of tears. I sit outside the bank, sobbing, and trying to get a grip on my emotions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where would we be without tears the rivers would run dry there'd be no sea and the flowers would just wilt away.