Tuesday, January 10, 2006

May I have your attention please...

Choking baby....

Here's a helpful hint..after making two choking baby calls...

If your child has something STUCK in his/her throat (not mouth) please do not stick your fingers in there. You will push it further back and possibly completely shut off its' airway. Number 1 cause of cardiac arrest in babies is respiratory failure. If you shut off your childs airway it WILL go into cardiac arrest.

**steps off of soapbox and walks away**

2 comments:

Johnno said...

My Grandparents used to always slap us on the back, but now I have learnt the grab from behind ond squeeze drop style to dislodge the food.

Leigh said...

Here's the 'official' way to assist a choking baby.

http://www.ehow.com/how_15397_help-choking-infant.html

My little sister used to always put things in her mouth. She got a penny stuck one day and my Dad jerked her up by her ankles and dangled her over the sink until it dislodged.